A ransomware attack targeting the city of New Orleans has inflicted $7 million in losses so far, with more to be incurred in coming months, Mayor Latoya Cantrell said in a recent update.
At 5 a.m. on December 13, New Orleans was becoming the latest victim in a long string of ransomware attacks directed as U.S. municipalities, throwing the state of Louisiana’s most populous city into a state of emergency.
Employees were told to disconnect all computer systems, including servers, and halt all work. The attackers had made no ransom demands, suggesting the attack was meant to disrupt the city and dent its economy. However, this is not confirmed.